13-14 Chelan Sports

5.20.14 Soccer - Sweet 16


Chelanís goal keeper, Miguel Sanchez saved six attempts on goal by Royal to help lift the Goats to the final 8 in state playoffs.


Chelan soccer team moves to quarterfinals
Beat Royal 2-1 in a tough match
by Richard Uhlhorn (information by Asst. Coach Jim Broome)

The weather couldnít have been better at Mountain Goat Field on Tuesday, May 20, as the defending state champion Chelan Goat soccer team took on Royal in a loser out game.

Chelan used its ability to control the ball and force Royal into a defensive mode throughout this game. Chelanís constant attack and attempts on goal (36) gave the Goats a 2-1 victory and the opportunity to play in the quarterfinals.

Chelanís Cristian Barahas scored first in the 27th minute and in the second half Humberto Ramirez put Royal on the ropes in the 68th minute when he found the goal off an assist by Ivan Montalvo.

Royal got there only goal two minutes later, but Chelan tightened up its defense and held off a concentrated attack by Royal to even the score.

Chelan had 36 shots on goal and Royal had 15. Miguel Sanchez had six saves in goal for the Goats.

Chelanís next game will be against the winner of Highland and Okanogan.  The day and time have not yet been determined.

Brewster beats Chelan at the Apple Bowl

Chelan Boyís soccer team traveled to Wenatchee to take on the Brewster Bears in the District Championship game at the Apple Bowl.  This game was for first and second place in districts and for seeding for the state tournament.

Chelan started out very aggressive and hade many opportunities early on to score, but was not able to find the back of the net until the 31st minute.  Chelan had a free kick outside Brewsterís goal box.  Ivan Magdaleno to the kick quickly and found Rafael Barajas unmarked who then found the back of the net for the first goal of the game.  Then in the 38th minute Brewster found the back of the net off a free kick to tie the game right before halftime.  In the second half, Chelan and Brewster continued to battle, both teams continued to have good scoring opportunities.  In the 58th minute, Brewster scored again to take the lead.  In the 68th minute, Brewster took the lead for good as they scored their third and final goal.

<< Back