10/28 CC - Cowiche
Manson Cross Country competed in the District 5/6 meet on Friday in Cowiche (near Yakima). The course was an outstanding set up in the middle of apple orchards, run mostly on grass. It had some gradual inclines and one steep hill and was a 1.5 mile loop, run twice.
The girls race was first. Kyla Chavolla was our only competitor and ran well, finishing close to her best time. She had an outstanding season and is to be congratulated.
The boys varsity ran next. The Trojans competed very well and finished in 4th place as a team. We were just a couple of points shy of qualifying for state as a team, which is outstanding considering this is our first year running and that we have no seniors on our team.
Individually, a big congratuations go to Olegario Orozco and Angel Garcia who both placed in the top 10, which qualifies them for the state meet this weekend in the Tricities. Olegaria finished in 6th place and Angel in 10th. Everyone on the team ran exceedingly well and should be proud of their season.
1. Olegario- 6th place, 17:41, a minute and 10 second improvement over his best time.
2. Angel- 10th place, 17:50, a 50 second improvement over his best time.
3. Charlye Castro- 21st place, 19:16, a whopping 2 minute improvement over his best time.
4. Miguel Leyva- 22nd place, 19:17, a 45 second improvement.
5. Sam Thomas- 24th place, 19:19, (unfortunately, Sam came down sick during the meet and was unable to run his best, but still gutted out the race and able to finish to help the team).
6. Oscar Mendoza- 34th place, 21:05, a minute improvement.
7. Salvador Leyva- 37th place, 21:25, a 30 second improvement.
The kids all showed courage and guts in running as well as they did and I couldn't be prouder of them