11-12 Chelan-Sports

Chelan Soccer



























Freshman Daisey Franco battles for control of the soccer ball during

Chelan’s match against the Cascade Kodiaks.


Chelan’s Lady Goat soccer team struggling

By Richard Uhlhorn


The Lady Goats hosted the tough and talented Cascade Kodiak team on Tuesday afternoon, October 9, losing the match 4-0.


Cascade dominated the Goats by keeping the ball in Goat territory much of the afternoon. The Kodiaks scored its first goal 21 minutes into the game and then came right back and scored again two minutes later.


Chelan held them for the rest of the first half and after the break the Kodiaks scored twice more; once in the 43rd minute and again in the 47th minute of the second half.


Senior goalkeeper Lupe Villasenor was bombarded with shots from the aggressive Kodiak team and made over 20 saves in the game. Senior captain Hailey Habich played a great game on both defense and offense.


The JV team played for 35 minutes and lost their match 4-0.


Eastmont JV will be in Chelan on Thursday to take on the Goats at Mountain Goat Field at 4 p.m.


Chelan v Tonasket:

The Lady Goats hosted Tonasket on Thursday, October 4, and played a hard fought game that ended with Tonasket winning in golden goal overtime. After two scoreless five minute overtimes, the teams went into a shootout tied 1-1 to decide a winner. Tonasket prevailed and scored two goals to Chelan’s one goal by Junior Ana Diaz.


Chelan v Omak


Chelan got its first win of the soccer season when the Omak Pioneers came to town. Both teams battled each other and the wind for a full 80 minutes with Chelan coming out on top 3-2


Omak scored first with the wind at their back in the 15th minute. “Chelan was going against the wind in the first half,” said Coach Jim Broome. “But we were able to score in the 19th minute of this game.” Senior Captain Alma Franco crossed the ball from the right side and found her younger sister, Daisy right in front of the goal. Daisy put the ball in the back of the net after it bounced off the Omak goalkeeper.


Alama Franco had another cross from the right side, finding Freshman Yesica Ayala in front of the goal in the 25th minute of this game. Ten minutes later Omak’s Shaylyn Goodall tied the game at 2-2 to finish out the first half.


In the second half both teams fought hard. In the 65th minute, Senior Captain Hailey Habich kicked a perfect ball over Omak’s defense to find Alma Franco sprinting to the ball in the open field. “Alma went one on one against Omak’s keeper and placed the ball perfectly in the back of the net to give Chelan the lead for good,” said Broome. “Our defense really stepped up to secure this win for the team.”


At their first home game, Chelan faced off against the Brewster Bears and lost 3-1. “We started to play some really good soccer,” said Broome. Things really started clicking for us on the field. Unfortunately, we made some mistakes in the first half and Brewster capitalized on them and scored three goals in the first half.”


In the 70th minute of the game, Brewster had a hand ball that gave Chelan a penalty kick. Senior Captain Alma Franco put the ball in the back of the net for Chelan’s only goal of the game.



<< Back