11-12 Chelan-Sports

8.31.12 Chelan Football













Zack Burchett had two kick-off returns for 107 total yards.


Chelan loses pre-season opener to South Whidbey 28-15
by Richard Uhlhorn

It was a beautiful evening for football in Chelan last Friday, August 31. South Whidbey was in town to take on the Goats in a pre-season non-league opener. Despite it being the Labor Day weekend, the game was well attended by Chelan football fans, and this year’s team did not disappoint despite it 28-15 loss to the South Whidbey Falcons.

The Falcons were the first on the scoreboard scoring a touchdown with 7:41 remaining in the first quarter. It came on a 26-yard pass play to Kale Reichersame from Falcon QB Nick French. The Point-After-Kick (PAT) was also successful.

What was interesting about this pass is that it came on a fourth down, something which South Whidbey would soon be known for. They loved to grab that first down on pass plays when facing long yardage. It pointed out that the Goats are going to have to concentrate on their secondary coverage.

Chelan came right back and scored on a short 1-yard run by Kai Clausen and Jared Anderson tied the game with a PAT to make it 7-7. QB Tanner Hendricks set the touchdown up after a high snap almost got away from him. He ran the ball to the one yard line from 7-yards out.

On the Falcon’s next possession, a high snap went over the QB’s head and the rush was on to recover the ball with Asa Schwartz getting his first quarterback sack of the night for a 2-point safety that put Chelan into a 9-7 lead.

Early in the second quarter, Erick Oscarson intercepted a pass and ran it to the 3-yard line where Kai Clausen went up the middle for another touchdown behind a strong Chelan offensive line. The 2-point conversion pass was incomplete, but Chelan went to the half-time break with a comfortable 15-9 lead.

The third quarter started with a Chelan fumble in the backfield which was scooped up by South Whidbey and run into the end zone for a touchdown from 14 yards out. A successful 2-point conversion tied the game 15-all.

On the kickoff, the Falcons tried an onside kick that was successful except that a Falcon player went out-of-bounds and came back in to recover the ball. A decision to re-kick the ball was called by the referees. At this point, the game went back and forth in the third until South Whidbey scored again with a 4-yard pass completion to Reichersamer with 4:41 remaining putting the Falcons ahead by 22-15 after a successful point-after-kick.

Chelan was unable to get anything going for the rest of the third quarter and with 48 seconds remaining, South Whidbey capitalized on another intercepted pass to run the ball to the 2-yard line where Steven Smith ran the ball in for the final Falcon touchdown taking them out to a 28-15 lead. The point-after attempt was solidly blocked by Chelan.

 The fourth quarter ended up in a back-and-forth battle with neither team able to score again leaving South Whidbey the winner 28-15.

Highlights according to Coach Darren Talley:

Asa Schwartz, Alex Cortez, Jared Anderson and Jose Padilla held the South Whidbey Falcons to 31 yards rushing. Schwartz had 7 sacks which is a single game record for the Goats. Cortez was also a factor in holding South Whidbey’s rushing game. The defensive line and backfield are going to be a force to be reckoned with this year in the Caribou Trail League.

Chelan used Tanner Hendricks as its main quarterback, but Eli Jenkins and Luke Gleasman also saw time at the QB position. With Michael Amsel’s football career in the hands of the WIAA, it is nice to know that Chelan has three backups to the quarterback position.

Chelan needs to concentrate on its blocking assignments and secondary coverage this week before facing Naches (Yakima) at Sargent Field. Note: Naches beat Mabton 34-6 in their opener, so it should give Chelan fans a good look at the Goats.

On Saturday, the JV team beat South Whidbey 28-24. Luke Gleasman connected with Eli Jenkins for a 30-yard touchdown pass in that game with only two minutes to go to take the lead.

Of note: South Whidbey’s coach wants the Falcons to come back to Chelan next year instead of Chelan traveling to Whidbey Island. The South Whidbey team apparently enjoyed the lake all day Saturday with three ski boats the parents brought over.



<< Back