On Saturday, May 14, the South Division sub district meet was held in Kittitas. Manson competed with 8 boys and 5 girls. Unfortunately, the meet was held on the same day as the Manson Apple Blossom Parade and Festival, which created a conflict for many of the track athletes. What was fortunate, however, was the warm, humid weather we enjoyed at Kittitas. Quite the opposite of what was suffered through here at Manson, as I understand it.
Now to the highlights:
The big news was that we had 2 championship competitors. Marcus Vanderholm won the 3200 and Casey Sorensen won the discus.
We also qualified several athletes through to next weeks district meet.
1. Elli Leyva in the 400 and 800.
2. Stephanie Quiroz in the 200.
3. The girls 4x200 relay team, consisting of Quiroz, Thalia Lepley, Leyva, and Bianca Vergara.
4. Ty Harding in the 100
5. Paul Toolson in the 400
6. Marcus Vanderholm in the 1600 and 3200.
7. Casey Sorensen in the shot put and discus
8. Alex Vanderholm in the shot put and discus
9. The boy's 4x400 relay team consisting of Harding, Toolson, Bridger Machus, and Jesse Russell
10. The boy's 4x100 relay team consisting of Harding, Toolson, Sorensen, and Russell.
The boy's team placed 4th overall and the girls team placed 5th.
The next meet is districts at Eastmont on May 21st. The top 3 boys qualify for the state meet and the top 4 girls qualify.