10-11 Chelan Sports

5-5&7-11 Soccer v Omak/Warden









The Chelan Goat Soccer Team finished up its tremendous season on Saturday, May 7, when the Warden Cougars defeated them in a hard fought 4-2 battle that was finally completed in the second sudden death overtime. Chelan ended the season with a credible 14-3 record and won the

Caribou Trail League Championshpo for the first time.




Warden finishes Chelans soccer season

after two sudden death overtime sessions

by Richard Uhlhorn


The Chelan Soccer season came to an end on Saturday, May 7, when Warden came to town to play them in the first round (loser out) of the Tri-District Tournament. It wasn’t easy for Warden to win this game against the young upstarts from Chelan. At the end of regulation, two sudden death overtimes and a shootout, won the game for Warden 4-2.


Chelan played a beautiful game of soccer in the first half and passed ball very well, but only scored one goal. Freshman forward Ivan Magdaleno received a cross pass from Guada Cardenas and headed the ball into the back of the net in the 33rd minute. 


In the second half, Warden dominated, but it still took 25 minutes for the Cougars to tie the game at 1-all, which is where the score remained during regulation play.


The Chelan soccer team under the coaching skills of Jamie Richards had a great season this year and overcame a lot of adversity with injuries. “These kids had a 14-3 record… fought through injuries and became the Caribou Trail League Champions,” said Assistant Coach Jim Broome. ‘This group of guys have made us as coaches and the community very proud of their accomplishments.”



On Thursday, May 5, the Chelan varsity finished its regular season against the Omak Pioneers under the lights at Sargent Field. This was also Chelan's senior night. The seniors and their parents were honored for the four years of leadership to Chelan’s high school soccer program.


The seniors are JJ Ramirez, Paco Sanchez, Joe Vieyra, Anibal Padilla, Gerardo Andrade and Luis Meija.


The game ended with Chelan defeating the Pioneers 2-0, scoring the first goal five minutes into the game by Juan Galvez off an assist from Eleazar Galvan. The score remained 1-0 throughout the rest of the first half with Chelan dominating the offense and Omak defending well.


Three minutes into the second half Juan Galvez found the back of the net again and was assisted by Ray Galvan.


Chelan passed the ball very well and had many shots on goal but Omak's goalkeeper did an outstanding job protecting the Pioneers goal.


The exciting thing about Chelan’s soccer this year was the outstanding play they gave to their fans. With only six seniors graduating (not all were starters) the team should continue to be successful next year.


<< Back